Mr. Ssanyu Lawrence who has served as Acting (Ag.) Director Human Resources (HR) since April 2020 on Tuesday 1st June, 2021 officially handed over office to the incoming Director, Dr. Davis Malowa Ndanyi. The ceremony held in the Director’s Office; Room 3.1, Central Teaching Facility 1 (CTF1), was witnessed by the Director Internal Audit, Mr. Walter Yorac Nono and Principal Human Resource Officers, Mr. Mujuni Deus Tayari and Mr. Lebo Julius.
In his handover remarks, Mr. Ssanyu appreciated the Vice Chancellor, Deputy Vice Chancellor (Finance and Administration), Ag. University Secretary and members of University Management for the cooperation, guidance and support accorded to him since his appointment as Acting Director. He equally paid tribute to staff in the Directorate for the cooperation and support that ensured that the Directorate continued carrying out its mandate his acting tenure.
He welcomed Dr. Ndanyi to the Directorate of Human Resources and his new office, and pledged his readiness to support him whenever the need arose. “As a member of this Directorate, I am ready and willing to work with and support you whenever you need my services.”
Dr. Ndanyi in his acceptance remarks thanked Mr. Ssanyu for the good work done during his acting tenure, acknowledging that it wasn’t an easy assignment to undertake. “I therefore join others to thank you for a job well done.”
He thanked the University Council through the Appointments Board for giving him the opportunity to serve Makerere University in the capacity of Director, adding that he would do what it takes to move the Human Resources function in Makerere University to greater heights. The incoming Director therefore appealed to the team in the Human Resources Directorate to accord him the same support.
“I call upon all staff in the Directorate to be resilient, collectively work together and collaborate because it is only through collaboration that we can achieve more as the Directorate of Human Resources and as a University” said Dr. Ndanyi.
The incoming Director shared that his method of work is highly consultative, based on an open door policy to HR staff and indeed all staff, and above all else welcoming. He also promised to involve Management in the day-to-day activities of Human Resources to ensure that together, they own decisions arrived at.
The Director Internal Audit thanked Mr. Ssanyu for his service and remarks and appreciated the call by Dr. Ndanyi for collaborative effort. “I welcome you to Makerere University and to the University Management. We look forward to benefitting from your previous experience in public service.”
UNMA Advisory on Agriculture and Food Security Jun-Aug 2021
The Uganda National Meteorological Authority (UNMA) on 7th June 2021 released the seasonal rainfall outlook for the June-July-August (JJA) 2021 period. Contained in the outlook were advisories to various strategic sectors of the economy.
Particularly, the advisory to the Agriculture and Food Security sector was;
- JJA season is often part of the normal dry season in the areas of South-western, western, parts of the eastern, and central Uganda. The farming communities in these areas are therefore advised to be vigilant during post-harvest handling by considering proper drying of the harvest on clean surfaces, use of tarpaulins and drying on racks;
- Preparation of good storage facilities of produce to avoid compromising on quality and safety;
- Channeling of the run-off water into the gardens in order to maximize on the soil moisture conservation;
- For those areas where near normal to above normal rainfall is expected (most parts of northern and eastern Uganda), farmers are encouraged to continue with regular weeding, pest and disease surveillance and control;
- Due to the expected enhanced rainfall in those areas, water logging and proliferation of fungal and bacterial crop diseases are likely to occur.
- Open drainage channels around household and gardens to reduce risks from stagnant water causing damage to root tuber crops;
- Flash floods and waterlogging are highly anticipated to occur in low lying areas expected to receive enhanced rainfall such as Katakwi and Kapelebyong. Therefore, communities are encouraged to keep watch over their crops, animals and property;
- In Karamoja sub-region, where wetter conditions are expected, the pastoral communities are advised to diversify into boosting the production of cereals (sorghum, millet, and maize), beans, and ground nuts and sustain pasture availability for livestock.
Please see Downloads for the detailed outlook.
4th Call For Applications: MURBS Departmental Ambassadors
In February 2018, the Makerere University Retirement Benefits Scheme (MURBS) launched the Departmental Ambassadors Programme. MURBS hopes to use this Ambassadors Programme to engage more directly with its membership and enhance member education. MURBS further perceives this Programme as a means to mitigate succession planning risks.
MURBS Fund Value continues to grow, and as at 31st March 2021, it stood at Ushs 235.5bn as compared to Ushs 209.6bn as at 30th June 2020. Given this growth, there is increased need for prospective Trustees, who are well equipped with relevant knowledge and skills, and with practical exposure to the management and governance of MURBS.
- Must be employed by the University on permanent terms
- Must be an Active Member of the Scheme (currently contributing to the Scheme) and appear on the Official Register of the MURBS Active Membership as at 30th April 2021.
- Must be willing to commit time to trainings and other ambassadorial activities organised by the Scheme.
Mode of training for 4th Cohort of Ambassadors
Training for this (4th) Cohort of Ambassadors is envisaged to be conducted over the zoom online platform only, due to Covid-19 restrictions. The Scheme does not envisage any face-to-face interactions.
Tenure of Office & Termination or Withdrawal
There is no tenure of office for the Departmental Ambassador. As long as a member is willing to continue serving as an Ambassador, and the Ambassador continues to satisfy the eligibility criteria above, she or he will remain a MURBS Ambassador.
How to Apply
Interested members should complete the MURBS Departmental Ambassador Application Form 01-0218. The completed Form together with the requested attachments should be sent to info[at]murbs.mak.ac.ug and copy to wilber.naigambi[at]mak.ac.ug no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, 14th June 2021. We discourage hand delivery of applications.
MURBS shall acknowledge receipt of each application received within 12 hours and will respond to the applicants to confirm the status of their application in writing (by e-mail). Upon approval of the application, the name of the approved Ambassador together with the Department and School/Unit will be updated on the list of the MURBS Departmental Ambassadors in the Group 4 category and published on the MURBS website.
NOTE: There is no limit as to the number of ambassadors that MURBS can have in a department.
Please see Downloads for the detailed call and application form.
Chair Council Communication on Closure of Makerere University
7th June 2021
All Members of Staff
All Students and Stakeholders
RE: CLOSURE OF MAKERERE UNIVERSITY
Following the address to the Nation by H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of Uganda, on 6th June 2021, this is to inform you that the University will be closed with effect from today 7th June 2021 for 42days.
During the closure, the University shall observe a 30% physical presence of staff while other faculty and administrative staff shall continue to work online.
Management will inform staff and students on the implementation of teaching, learning, and research activities online. Construction activities shall continue as per the President’s directives and with strict adherence to the COVID-19 SOPs.
Lorna Magara (Mrs.)
Chairperson, Makerere University Council
Health2 weeks ago
Call for Applications: MAK-ImS PhD, Masters, Non-Degree Fellowship Scholarships
Natural Sciences2 weeks ago
Scholarship Opportunity: African Water Resources Mobility Network
VC's Diary1 week ago
University Closure Guidelines in Compliance With Presidential Directive on COVID-19
General2 weeks ago
Mak Centenary Celebrations Logo Design Contest