By Bernard Buteera
On Saturday 3rd September 2023, the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University held its 2nd edition of the Annual Community Open Day. The event took place at the Freedom Square, Makerere University. The Community Open Day is an annual event that brings together all Scholars, Alumni, Staff, Mentors, and Partners of the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program and the entire Makerere University Community, to network and deliberate on ideas for uplifting vulnerable communities.
While addressing the gathering, Prof. Justine Namaalwa, the Program Coordinator of the Scholars Program at Makerere University, pointed out that the Community Open Day was a platform for the Scholars Program to connect with the community.
“The purpose of the Annual Community Open Day is to bring together the Scholars and alumni of Mastercard Foundation and the entire University Community to push the agenda of transforming our vulnerable communities.” Prof. Namaalwa pointed out.
Prof. Namaalwa further spelled out the objectives of the Annual Community Open Day as;
- To create a platform for Scholars and Alumni to meet and Network.
- To provide a platform for young Entrepreneurs to showcase their enterprises, market their products and motivate other young entrepreneurs.
- Fundraise for Community give back and community service.
- Create awareness about the Scholars Program activities and ethos at Makerere University
- Encourage individual alumni and Scholars to give back to their communities.
Prof. Namaalwa further highlighted a number of community-transforming initiatives that Scholars and alumni of the Mastercard Foundation at Makerere University had carried out in the recent past just to put a smile on people in vulnerable communities.
She singled out a borehole construction project that Scholars and alumni gifted the community in Iganga district, which previously never had access to clean water. She also highlighted the construction of classroom blocks at Kibaale Primary School, in Mityana district, and St. Katherine Primary School in Agago district.
Prof. Namaalwa then pointed out that the 2023 Community Open Day was a pitch to raise funds to construct a class block as well as purchase desks, and chairs for Achukudu Community Primary School, in Napak District, Karamoja sub-region.
“Our pitch today is to ask all people of goodwill to join us to raise funds to construct a classroom block for the young children in Karamoja so that they can have the opportunity to learn in a friendly environment.” Prof. Namaalwa pleaded.
On his part, the Deputy Vice Chancellor of Finance and Administration, Prof. Henry Alinaitwe, who represented the Vice Chancellor Prof. Barnabas Nawangwe, congratulated the Scholars Program and the Program team for coming up with initiatives like the Community Open Day, which aim at uplifting the lives of vulnerable people.
“On behalf of the University Management, I would like to congratulate and thank the Scholars Program community and the Scholars Program team for initiating such events, which aim at uplifting the lives of the vulnerable people in our communities.” Prof. Alinaitwe remarked.
He further thanked Mastercard Foundation as a whole for the continuous support it has offered to young people in Africa to enable them to attain quality education across different universities including Makerere University.
Prof. Alinaitwe was particularly thrilled by the idea of constructing a classroom block for the young people in the Karamoja sub-region.
“I would like to sincerely thank the Scholars and alumni of Mastercard Foundation for the foresight and championing such community transformation, especially the project of constructing a class bock for the vulnerable young people in the Karamoja sub-region.” He remarked.
Prof. Alinaitwe urged the Scholars Community and the Program team to ensure that quality work is done when the construction of the classroom block commences, and he made a cash contribution of Four hundred thousand shillings (400,000/=) towards the cause.
The Member of Parliament for Bokora County- Napak District, Hon. John Bosco Ngoya, who was the Chief Guest at the Open Day thanked Mastercard Foundation and Makerere University for the visionary partnership that has changed the lives of many vulnerable young people in Uganda and Africa.
“I would like to thank Mastercard Foundation and Makerere University for the visionary partnership that has transformed the lives of many vulnerable young people in Uganda and Africa.” Hon. Ngoya remarked.
Hon. Ngoya further thanked the Scholars and alumni Community of the Mastercard Foundation at Makerere University for choosing to construct a class at Achukudu Primary School in Napak district.
“You have chosen the right community to support, Achukudu Primary School is located at the extreme end of Napak district, which serves over 40,000 people and is shared by three districts” Hon. Ngoya pointed out.
Hon. Ngoya called upon all other good Samaritans to emulate the Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University in touching lives and transforming communities.
The honorable Member of Parliament made a personal pledge of One million shillings (1,000,000/=) towards the classroom block construction.
The event was graced by a number of Scholars, Alumni, Mentors, University staff students, and Partners. Among the Partners who made financial contributions towards the class block construction included; DFCU Bank, Post Bank, URA, Katumba Estates, Footsteps Furniture Ltd, and Sion Travels Ltd.
The event was punctuated with a lot of activities and fun which included; Aerobics, a treasure hunt, fun games, exhibitions, and a raffle draw in which guests won different prizes. The next Community Open Day will take place in September 2024.
Bernard Buteera is the Communications and Public Relations Officer, Mastercard Foundation Scholars Program at Makerere University.
Makerere University Hospital iTECH Project Positions: Data Manager, Data Officer & Study Nurse
Makerere University Hospital seeks to recruit suitable candidates for the following positions; Data Manager, Data Officer and a Study nurse. Makerere University Hospital received funding from Wellcome Leap, In Utero Program to support implementation of the “Stillbirth in High Burden Settings: Ample Room for Improvement Using Biomarkers and Ultrasound Technologies” (iTECH) project. The iTECH project aims to develop novel clinical tools for use to diagnose and manage high-risk pregnant women and reduce the burden of stillbirths in Uganda, sub-Saharan Africa, and globally.
Available Position: Data Manager (01)
Duty Station: Kampala
Engagement: Full Time
Reporting to: Project Manager
The Data Manager will oversee the development and implementation of strong data management. He/she will implement efficient ways to collate, organize, store and analyze data with attention to security and confidentiality.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in the creation and enforcement of policies and guidelines for effective data management.
- Alongside the QA and QC manager, facilitate site level data quality assessment, auditing and verification for improvement.
- Participate in the collection, cleaning, validation and maintenance of high-quality research data.
- Use a variety of advanced statistical software, methods, and techniques to gather, analyze, and interpret research data to derive useful information for research data;
- Advise and assists in the development of inferences and conclusions, as appropriate.
- Write and execute statistical methods and analysis sections of protocols, reports and peer-reviewed publications
- Design templates and develop specifications for status reports, analysis tables, graphs, and data listings for use in research publications and ad hoc reporting.
- Participate in the process of data sharing with project team and external stakeholders.
- Assist with reports and data extraction when needed from the integrated database in order to track recruitment and retention of study participants.
- Monitor and analyze information and data systems and evaluate their performance to discover ways of enhancing them (new technologies, upgrades etc.)
- Troubleshoot data-related problems and authorize maintenance or modifications.
- Participate in the review of the data management plan, maintain the data management plan throughout lifecycle of projects and ensure data management plan is followed according to iTECH project data requirements/needs.
- Maintenance of study database with regular feedback on occurrences and how these were rectified.
- Assist in defining and/or create data listings, summary table validation, data specifications and/or process data transfers in preparation for statistical review and/or data management audit.
- Coordinate the archiving of databases and related documents. Verify data in accordance with the study data management standard operating procedures (SOPs).
- Respond to requests for standard reports as required in a timely manner.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- MUST have a Master’s degree in Biostatistics or Statistics or Clinical Epidemiology or Statistical Epidemiology or related field, with significant experience in Medical Sciences or public health research and data analysis.
- MUST have a strong understanding of databases and data analysis
- Good analytical thinking and ability to interpret epidemiological data
- At least one year of progressive experience in data management including designing databases, data collection, analysis and presentation.
- Knowledge of common Statistical analysis and database management packages including STATA, R, SPSS, Redcap, Open Data Kit (ODK)
- Up-to-date training in Good Clinical Practice and Human Subjects protection Research.
- Should be dynamic and flexible to deliver on strict program deadlines
- Possess excellent troubleshooting skills.
- Able to work under pressure
Available Positions: Data Officer (02)
Duty Station: Hoima and Kampala
Engagement: Full Time
Reporting to: Site Manager/ Data Manager.
The data officer will provide ongoing technical assistance to the project and facility team in recording and management of project-related data in line with the study guidelines.
She/he will also assist the Data Manager in the entry, cleaning and analysis of data captured by the study database.
- Ensure weekly back up of study data including ultrasound, maternal hemodynamics, laboratory, placenta histology and routine clinical data.
- Support with study data entry.
- Help the site teams to project participant recruitment and follow-up numbers together with the data manager.
- Handle labelling of study participant forms including study informed consent forms and lab request forms by assigning study IDs
- Perform labelling of ultrasound and maternal hemodynamic profiles, and any other data as guided by the line supervisor
- Perform data export from the study equipment at the sites.
- Help with participant tracking for follow up study visits and deliveries
- Support the site study team in the timely compilation of daily, weekly and monthly study reports
- Any other duties as may reasonably be assigned by the data manager and project manager
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold a Bachelor’s Degree in Information Technology/ Computer science.
- Experience in medical data management is an added advantage.
- Should be dynamic and flexible to deliver on strict program timelines
- Understands client confidentiality and exhibits a high level of ethical conduct
- Has basic computer literacy including word processing, excel, internet and PowerPoint.
- Highly organised and pays attention to detail
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to work in a team
- Should have analytical abilities
- Good communication skills
Available Position: Study nurse (01)
Duty Station: Hoima
Engagement: Full Time
Reporting to: Site Manager and Project Manager
The Study nurse will be responsible for recruitment of study participants and administering of required study related procedures to these participants.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Participate in protocol, standard operating procedures (SOPs) or any other study trainings
- Participate in study site entry visits and engage with management of study participants. These include but not limited to patient enrolment, as guided by the protocol.
- Obtain written informed consent for those eligible and are willing to participate in the study
- Administer all study procedures like sample collection, data collection and entry, patient follow-up and treatment to patients recruited into the study as guided by the protocol and in accordance to set standards of Good Clinical Practice
- Perform patient safety monitoring for any adverse events, offer care and referral as needed
- Provide counselling and pyscho-social support to study participants where needed
- Conduct assessment of maternal hemodynamics and maternal hemodynamics data collection under guidance of coordinator.
- Perform first-level quality assurance and quality control (QA / QC) to ensure all fields in the consent forms and case report forms (CRFs) are complete and accurate
- Offer support to the community health workers and research assistants for the follow- up of study participants.
- Assist in generating study progress reports as needed
- Perform any other duties assigned by the Operations Research officer, Project Manager and principal Investigator, as deemed necessary for study activities
Required Qualifications, experience, skills and attributes:
- Minimum of a Bachelor in Nursing from a recognized institution.
- Currently registered with the Uganda Nurses and Midwives Council and an up-to-date Practicing License.
- Up-to-date training in Good Clinical Practice and Human Subjects Protection Research.
- Previous experience with working in a research environment will be an added advantage
- Ability to speak the indigenous languages spoken in the western region will be an added advantage
How to apply:
All applications must be submitted to the email: email@example.com before Friday 4th March 2024 at 5:00PM
- The subject line of your email should be: “Application- (indicate the position) – iTECH Project”
- Submit your application (1-page cover letter, 3 pages resume including two referees, and relevant supporting documents) as ONE PDF
- PDF’s exceeding 5MBs will be considered ineligible.
- Submission of incomplete or inaccurate documents will render the applicant ineligible for consideration for the job opening.
- Applications cannot be amended following submission.
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for interviews.
- The interviews will be held on 11th March 2024.
Team of 12 Students from Tottori at Makerere on a 3-Week Exchange Programme
The Makerere University International Office has this morning, 19th February 2024 hosted a team of 12 students from Tottori University, Japan, who are on a 3-week exchange programme at Makerere University and specifically, the College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences (CAES) and the College of Veterinary Medicine, Animal Resources and Biosecurity (CoVAB).
While receiving the team, the Manager International Office, Mr. Ochwo Gerald, welcomed the students and thanked Dr. Emi Kaburagi, from the Center for International Affairs for her continued support in the coordination and planning of the exchange programme. Additionally, he took a moment to share the unique journey of Makerere over its first 100 years and specifically highlighted the University’s breakthrough in medical research that has seen the discovery of nevirapine, a drug used to prevent the transmission of HIV from mother to child during birth.
“As one of the leading institutions in research and global medicine, Makerere University’s major breakthroughs over the years have been the discovery of Nevirapine, and the electric car code-named Kiira EV. Today, the Government of Uganda in collaboration with Makerere University, has established a car manufacturing plant in Jinja, and the commuter buses produced now ply the streets of Kampala our Capital City” said Mr. Ochwo.
Dr. Emi Kaburagi in her remarks thanked Makerere University for accepting to host Tottori students and shared that the number of those seeking admission into this exchange programme has drastically increased over the years.
As hosts, Makerere University is committed to ensuring that the exchange students’ visit is not only productive but also comfortable and culturally enriching. Furthermore we are highly optimistic that the students will have a pleasant stay, confident that this exchange will foster mutual understanding and deeper collaboration between our two institutions.
Advert: Position of Second Deputy Vice Chancellor
Makerere University is governed by the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act, 2001 (as amended). The University is seeking applications from suitably qualified applicants for the position of Second Deputy Vice Chancellor.
SALARY SCALE: M2
DUTY STATION: MAKERERE UNIVERSITY
The Second Deputy Vice Chancellor will report to the Vice Chancellor and shall:
- Assist the Vice Chancellor in performance of his or her functions and in that regard shall oversee the finances and administration of the University;
- Be responsible for the Planning and Development of the University and;
- Perform such other functions that may be delegated to him or her by the Vice Chancellor or assigned by the University Council.
METHOD OF APPLICATION
Interested applicants are invited to submit their application letters together with the following:
- Curriculum Vitae with contact details signed and dated by the candidate;
- A motivation letter not exceeding 1,000 words about the candidate’s vision for a competitive university in the 21st century.
- Certified copies of academic transcripts and certificates.
- A copy of National Identity Card.
- Names and addresses of three (3) referees with their contacts.
- The referees should be advised to send confidential reference letters, addressed to the Chairperson Search Committee for the Position of Second Deputy Vice Chancellor and delivered directly to the address below by 5:00 pm on 11th March 2024.
- The references should cover the following areas: the applicant’s academic credential, experience, leadership, managerial and administrative skills and personal integrity.
Both hard copy and electronic mail (Email) applications shall be accepted.
- Hard copy applications: Both confidential letters and sealed applications marked “CONFIDENTIAL: POSITION OF SECOND DEPUTY VICE CHANCELLOR” should be addressed to:
SECRETARY SEARCH COMMITTEE
THE ACADEMIC REGISTRAR
6TH FLOOR, ROOM 602, SENATE BUILDING
P.O. BOX 7062, KAMPALA UGANDA
- Electronic media (E-mail) applications should have all the above documents scanned and emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5:00 pm East African Standard Time on 11th March 2024.
Please note that:
- Incomplete applications or applications received after the closing time will not be considered.
- Only shortlisted applicants shall be contacted.
For more information and inquiries: Visit our website www.mak.ac.ug OR email us on email@example.com OR Call Telephone number: +256-414-532634 during working hours (between 8:00 am to 5:00 pm Monday to Friday).
MAKERERE UNIVERSITY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Prof. Buyinza Mukadasi (PhD)
Business & Management2 weeks ago
Job Opportunity FamilEA Study: Research Assistant (20 Positions)
Health2 weeks ago
Call for 2024 Applications: Eastern Africa FAIMER Regional Institute (EAFRI)
General1 week ago
EPRC@30 Open Day
General2 weeks ago
CARTA Newsletter July – December 2023
Agriculture & Environment1 week ago
New CAES Project Targets to close the Nutrition Gap of Cross-bred Dairy Cattle in Uganda