The Makerere University School of Public Health (MakSPH) in collaboration with the Ministry of Health (MoH)-Uganda, World Health Organisation (WHO)-Uganda, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)-Uganda and the African Field Epidemiology Network (AFENET) has organized a Public Dialogue on the Coronavirus Disease (COVID-19) scheduled to take place on Friday 13th March, 2020 at the Imperial Royale Hotel, Kampala from 2:00 to 5:00pm.
Theme: COUNTRY PREPAREDNESS TO PREVENT, DETECT AND RESPOND TO THE CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) EPIDEMIC
Objective of the Public Lecture of the Public Lecture:
To contribute to COVID-19 Preparedness in Uganda through;
- Providing a platform to educate the general public on the strategies the country is implementing to prevent, quickly detect and expediently respond to the COVID-19 global epidemic in Uganda
- Providing a platform to educate the general public on what they should do and what they should not do to prevent themselves and others from getting infected with the COVID-19 virus
- Generating potential insights and garnering support from academia and the general public and other key stakeholders to strengthen national preparedness to the COVID-19 global epidemic in Uganda
Speakers will include:
- Minister of Health, Uganda
- World Health Organization Representative to Uganda
- Dean, Makerere University School of Public Health
Basic protective measures against the coronavirus:
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and water or use an alcohol based hand rub.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth. In addition, cover your mouth and nose with tissue when coughing and sneezing.
- Maintain a safe distance between yourself and someone who is, sneezing and or coughing (at least 1 meter).
- If you have a fever, cough and difficulty in breathing, seek medical care immediately.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces such as doorknobs/handles, car doors, elevator buttons etc. daily with regular household disinfectant or soap.
- All people coming from countries affected by corona virus disease should follow the guidance given by health workers at the airport and other border entry points.
Doreen Tuhebwe, MakSPH, Email: dtuhebwe[at]musph.ac.ug
Elizabeth Ekirapa, MakSPH, Email: ekky[at]musph.ac.ug
Mr. Atek Kagirita, MoH, Tel: +256-782-909153
Dr. Allan Muruta, MoH, Tel: +256-772-460297
Please see Downloads for fliers
4th Call For Applications: MURBS Departmental Ambassadors
In February 2018, the Makerere University Retirement Benefits Scheme (MURBS) launched the Departmental Ambassadors Programme. MURBS hopes to use this Ambassadors Programme to engage more directly with its membership and enhance member education. MURBS further perceives this Programme as a means to mitigate succession planning risks.
MURBS Fund Value continues to grow, and as at 31st March 2021, it stood at Ushs 235.5bn as compared to Ushs 209.6bn as at 30th June 2020. Given this growth, there is increased need for prospective Trustees, who are well equipped with relevant knowledge and skills, and with practical exposure to the management and governance of MURBS.
- Must be employed by the University on permanent terms
- Must be an Active Member of the Scheme (currently contributing to the Scheme) and appear on the Official Register of the MURBS Active Membership as at 30th April 2021.
- Must be willing to commit time to trainings and other ambassadorial activities organised by the Scheme.
Mode of training for 4th Cohort of Ambassadors
Training for this (4th) Cohort of Ambassadors is envisaged to be conducted over the zoom online platform only, due to Covid-19 restrictions. The Scheme does not envisage any face-to-face interactions.
Tenure of Office & Termination or Withdrawal
There is no tenure of office for the Departmental Ambassador. As long as a member is willing to continue serving as an Ambassador, and the Ambassador continues to satisfy the eligibility criteria above, she or he will remain a MURBS Ambassador.
How to Apply
Interested members should complete the MURBS Departmental Ambassador Application Form 01-0218. The completed Form together with the requested attachments should be sent to info[at]murbs.mak.ac.ug and copy to wilber.naigambi[at]mak.ac.ug no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, 14th June 2021. We discourage hand delivery of applications.
MURBS shall acknowledge receipt of each application received within 12 hours and will respond to the applicants to confirm the status of their application in writing (by e-mail). Upon approval of the application, the name of the approved Ambassador together with the Department and School/Unit will be updated on the list of the MURBS Departmental Ambassadors in the Group 4 category and published on the MURBS website.
NOTE: There is no limit as to the number of ambassadors that MURBS can have in a department.
Please see Downloads for the detailed call and application form.
Chair Council Communication on Closure of Makerere University
7th June 2021
All Members of Staff
All Students and Stakeholders
RE: CLOSURE OF MAKERERE UNIVERSITY
Following the address to the Nation by H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of Uganda, on 6th June 2021, this is to inform you that the University will be closed with effect from today 7th June 2021 for 42days.
During the closure, the University shall observe a 30% physical presence of staff while other faculty and administrative staff shall continue to work online.
Management will inform staff and students on the implementation of teaching, learning, and research activities online. Construction activities shall continue as per the President’s directives and with strict adherence to the COVID-19 SOPs.
Lorna Magara (Mrs.)
Chairperson, Makerere University Council
RUFORUM: Transforming Higher Education Videos and Links
Video Series developed by Julieta Mazzola, EARTH University.
- What is Community Engagement? Video 1 of 3. https://youtu.be/etv2-W1U3O0
- Different Forms of University Engagement with the Community. Video 2 of 3. https://youtu.be/73h2p8P0BLw
- Student learning through Community Engagement. Video 3 of 3. https://youtu.be/Ule3P1-tjC4
Health2 weeks ago
Call for Applications: MAK-ImS PhD, Masters, Non-Degree Fellowship Scholarships
General2 weeks ago
Mak Digitizes over 10,000 Land Records Dating from 1830 to 1995
Natural Sciences2 weeks ago
Scholarship Opportunity: African Water Resources Mobility Network
VC's Diary6 days ago
University Closure Guidelines in Compliance With Presidential Directive on COVID-19