Makerere University will be celebrating the centenary year from 2021 to 2022. We are planning to design a commemorative logo which will be used in all media – including online, print, on merchandise and other visual collateral during the celebrations. All Students of Makerere University are invited to design a creative, innovative & professional Logo and Letterhead in line with the theme of centenary celebrations.
- The competition is open to all Makerere University Students who are fully registered.
- Individuals or teams (with 2-3 students) may submit only one entry.
- All submitted work must be the original work of the entrant(s) and must not include, be based on, or derived from any pre-existing or third-party designs, trademarks, or copyrighted images.
- All entries will become the property of Makerere University.
- By submitting an entry, each entrant agrees that any and all intellectual property rights in the logo and letter head design are deemed assigned to Makerere University.
Logo and letter head Requirements:
- The Logo and letter head must promote the theme of centenary celebrations
- Colours are limited to the Makerere University colour scheme
- Integrity: The Logo and letter head should not contain any copyrighted material.
- The Logo must have been created and edited by the contestant(s).
- Must be easily reproducible and scalable for large and small formatting.
- The Logo must be eye-catching and it must be legible.
- Plagiarism will lead to disqualication.
Please Submit your original source file as a high resolution. pdf with 300 dpi or higher to Email: email@example.com or as sealed hard copy to Office of The Dean, Margaret Trowell School of Industrial and Fine Arts (MTSIFA), on: June 25, 2021 by 4.30 pm.
Winners will be selected by an expert panel appointed by the University and the winners will receive a certificate & cash prizes.
- Winning design: UShs. 3,500,000/-
- 1st runners-up: UShs. 2,500,000/-
- 2nd runners-up: UShs. 1,500,000/-
Makerere University may publish this logo and may use it both for advertising campaigns and/or marketing materials in the future. Contestants must assign all ownership rights, including all intellectual property rights of the logo, to Makerere University. Additionally, Makerere University may alter, modify or revise the Logo as it deems necessary to achieve the goals. Makerere University reserves the right to not select a winner if, in its sole discretion, no suitable entries are received.
Please see Downloads for details.
UNMA Advisory on Agriculture and Food Security Jun-Aug 2021
The Uganda National Meteorological Authority (UNMA) on 7th June 2021 released the seasonal rainfall outlook for the June-July-August (JJA) 2021 period. Contained in the outlook were advisories to various strategic sectors of the economy.
Particularly, the advisory to the Agriculture and Food Security sector was;
- JJA season is often part of the normal dry season in the areas of South-western, western, parts of the eastern, and central Uganda. The farming communities in these areas are therefore advised to be vigilant during post-harvest handling by considering proper drying of the harvest on clean surfaces, use of tarpaulins and drying on racks;
- Preparation of good storage facilities of produce to avoid compromising on quality and safety;
- Channeling of the run-off water into the gardens in order to maximize on the soil moisture conservation;
- For those areas where near normal to above normal rainfall is expected (most parts of northern and eastern Uganda), farmers are encouraged to continue with regular weeding, pest and disease surveillance and control;
- Due to the expected enhanced rainfall in those areas, water logging and proliferation of fungal and bacterial crop diseases are likely to occur.
- Open drainage channels around household and gardens to reduce risks from stagnant water causing damage to root tuber crops;
- Flash floods and waterlogging are highly anticipated to occur in low lying areas expected to receive enhanced rainfall such as Katakwi and Kapelebyong. Therefore, communities are encouraged to keep watch over their crops, animals and property;
- In Karamoja sub-region, where wetter conditions are expected, the pastoral communities are advised to diversify into boosting the production of cereals (sorghum, millet, and maize), beans, and ground nuts and sustain pasture availability for livestock.
Please see Downloads for the detailed outlook.
4th Call For Applications: MURBS Departmental Ambassadors
In February 2018, the Makerere University Retirement Benefits Scheme (MURBS) launched the Departmental Ambassadors Programme. MURBS hopes to use this Ambassadors Programme to engage more directly with its membership and enhance member education. MURBS further perceives this Programme as a means to mitigate succession planning risks.
MURBS Fund Value continues to grow, and as at 31st March 2021, it stood at Ushs 235.5bn as compared to Ushs 209.6bn as at 30th June 2020. Given this growth, there is increased need for prospective Trustees, who are well equipped with relevant knowledge and skills, and with practical exposure to the management and governance of MURBS.
- Must be employed by the University on permanent terms
- Must be an Active Member of the Scheme (currently contributing to the Scheme) and appear on the Official Register of the MURBS Active Membership as at 30th April 2021.
- Must be willing to commit time to trainings and other ambassadorial activities organised by the Scheme.
Mode of training for 4th Cohort of Ambassadors
Training for this (4th) Cohort of Ambassadors is envisaged to be conducted over the zoom online platform only, due to Covid-19 restrictions. The Scheme does not envisage any face-to-face interactions.
Tenure of Office & Termination or Withdrawal
There is no tenure of office for the Departmental Ambassador. As long as a member is willing to continue serving as an Ambassador, and the Ambassador continues to satisfy the eligibility criteria above, she or he will remain a MURBS Ambassador.
How to Apply
Interested members should complete the MURBS Departmental Ambassador Application Form 01-0218. The completed Form together with the requested attachments should be sent to info[at]murbs.mak.ac.ug and copy to wilber.naigambi[at]mak.ac.ug no later than 5:00 p.m. on Monday, 14th June 2021. We discourage hand delivery of applications.
MURBS shall acknowledge receipt of each application received within 12 hours and will respond to the applicants to confirm the status of their application in writing (by e-mail). Upon approval of the application, the name of the approved Ambassador together with the Department and School/Unit will be updated on the list of the MURBS Departmental Ambassadors in the Group 4 category and published on the MURBS website.
NOTE: There is no limit as to the number of ambassadors that MURBS can have in a department.
Please see Downloads for the detailed call and application form.
Chair Council Communication on Closure of Makerere University
7th June 2021
All Members of Staff
All Students and Stakeholders
RE: CLOSURE OF MAKERERE UNIVERSITY
Following the address to the Nation by H.E. Yoweri Kaguta Museveni, President of Uganda, on 6th June 2021, this is to inform you that the University will be closed with effect from today 7th June 2021 for 42days.
During the closure, the University shall observe a 30% physical presence of staff while other faculty and administrative staff shall continue to work online.
Management will inform staff and students on the implementation of teaching, learning, and research activities online. Construction activities shall continue as per the President’s directives and with strict adherence to the COVID-19 SOPs.
Lorna Magara (Mrs.)
Chairperson, Makerere University Council
Health2 weeks ago
Call for Applications: MAK-ImS PhD, Masters, Non-Degree Fellowship Scholarships
Natural Sciences2 weeks ago
Scholarship Opportunity: African Water Resources Mobility Network
VC's Diary1 week ago
University Closure Guidelines in Compliance With Presidential Directive on COVID-19
General1 week ago
4th Call For Applications: MURBS Departmental Ambassadors