- 24 Apr 2017 - 4:43pm
Search process for MAK Vice Chancellor (2017-2022) kicks off
The search process for the next substantive Makerere University Vice Chancellor has kicked off. The Vice Chancellor shall be responsible for the academic, administrative and financial affairs of the University, and in the absence of the Chancellor, preside at ceremonial assemblies of the University and confer degrees and other academic titles and distinctions of the University.
Section 31(4) of the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act stipulates that the Vice Chancellor shall be appointed on terms and conditions determined by the University Council for five years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one more term.
The five year contract for the current Vice Chancellor, Prof. John Ddumba-Ssentamu will be coming to an end on 31st August 2017.
According to Section 31 of the Universities and Other Tertiary Institutions Act 2001, a Search Committee that is composed of two members from the University Council and three from the University Senate shall identify suitable candidates for the post of Vice Chancellor and forward them to the Senate to nominate three candidates for recommendation to the University Council. The University Council will then make its recommendation to the Chancellor who will appoint the Vice Chancellor.
The five member Search committee is chaired by Hon. Irene Ovonji Odida. The members include: Mr. Bruce B. Kabaasa, Dr. Betty Ezati, Dr. Frank Mwine and Prof. Joseph Y.T. Mugisha.
Addressing the media during the Press Conference held on Wednesday 12th April 2017, assured the public of a fair, transparent and competitive process when she said, “Each candidate shall be given equal rights and opportunity to express his or her capability to lead the institution as the Vice Chancellor. In order to produce the best possible outcome, the committee is going to use various methods such as interviews, public presentations and analysis of documents to assess and evaluate the individual capabilities.”
Hon. Ovonji Odida together with the Members of the Search Committee reiterated their readiness to complete the search process within a period of three (3) months.
“Makerere University Council approved guidelines on Tuesday 11th April 2017. We have started our work. We are officially opening the search process that will take three months; we envision concluding the process before the term of the current Vice Chancellor ends,” she said.
For a candidate to be eligible for nomination, he/she must;
- Have PhD/ academic doctorate from a recognized academic institution
- Be more than 40 years and below 65 years of age at the time of application
- Must have a proven track record of academic management including supervision of graduate students and research.
- At least five years of teaching experience at the rank of Associate Professor or equivalent in a reputable institution with excellent track record of research of at least 10 peer reviewed publications.
- At least 10 years of working experience at Senior Management position, four of which must have been served at the minimum level of Dean of School/Faculty or its equivalent in a reputable public or private institution with excellent track record in management, leadership, and building winning teams.
- Have a high level of integrity, be team player with excellent public relations and communication skills.
- Proven /demonstrated high level of experience in networking, resource mobilization and preparation of grant wining proposals. He/she should have knowledge and proven experience in engaging with international partners
- Proven experience in national, regional and/or international policy development in higher education.
- Thorough knowledge of structural, legislative and regulatory framework for management of higher education in Uganda.
- Good knowledge of public financial management and strategic planning.
The advertisement can be accessed by following the link below:
Article by: Makerere Public Relations Office
Liked it? Share it..
Most Popular Articles
Just in (Most Recent Articles)
- 27 Apr 2017 - 7:58pm
- 26 Apr 2017 - 9:13am
- 24 Apr 2017 - 4:43pm